Sunday, July 29, 2012

Butterfly, Flea, Beetle, and Bee: What Is an Insect? (Animal Groups Are CATegorical Series), by Brian P. Cleary


I admire the thought--make an informative book for kids about insects that is cute, well-illustrated AND has a rhyming verse AND teaches kids about insect classification AND showcases a few popular insects AND fits into the existing "CATegorical" series of books. I admire it in theory. But in practice? Pick a lane and stay in it. This book tries to do too many things and does none of them well. Plus, it fails to address the most obvious question: What ISN'T an insect (spider, centipede, earthworm, etc.) even if it seems like one?

Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley.com. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

No comments: