Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Shadows on my Wall, by Timothy Young

Shadows on My Wall
Author: Timothy Young 
Publisher: Schiffer Books 
Publication Date: August 31, 2012
Shadows on My Wall is a simple but delightful story about a child who has difficulty sleeping because the street lights cause all manner of strange shadows on his wall. At first he thinks there are monsters in his room, but soon learns that he can pretend the shadows are anything he wants them to be, including funny playmates to keep him company at night. I loved this book. The illustrations are simple and consistent--every page is the child's room with various shadows on the wall--but they hit just the right tone. Shadows CAN be scary but it's a great message to remind children that they can also be fun and funny. It reminded me a little of Ed Emberley's Go Away, Big Green Monster! or Charles G. Shaw's It Looked Like Spilt Milk, where things aren't always what they seem and sometimes it's all a matter of interpretation. Plus, as a bonus, the last page includes a whole bunch of how-to shadow puppets that you can try at home!

Hit the jump for Magda's Take and more pictures from inside the book!


Magda's Take:
"He thought there were monsters, but they were just shadows! That's so funny. But I didn't like the monsters..."

You May Also Like:









Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

No comments: