Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Silly Looking Thing, by Eva M. Sakmar-Sulliavan


The Silly Little Thing

Author: Eva M. Sakmar-Sullivan
Publisher: Schiffer Books
Publication Date: August 31, 2012


This is another one of those books that is "okay" but maybe isn't destined to become a classic. The premise is that a young frog is looking for a playmate at the pond, but refuses to play with the "silly looking thing" in the water, no matter how many times it asks. By the end, the "silly looking thing" has turned into a young frog himself and it turns out he was just a tadpole before. The premise is great and there's so much room for humour here, but I found myself trying to dress up the "silliness" of the book with funny voices and things. The book itself didn't really have much silliness or whimsy, which I found disappointing. When I read it to Magda, she seemed a bit let down at the end, as though I had missed a page. It's clearly intended to be a "message" book about not judging people based on their looks, but I think it's a lost opportunity that the author didn't also make it a funny, silly story that kids would want to read multiple times.

Hit the jump for Magda's Take and more...


Magda's Take:
"It was fine. Is that it? Can we read another book?"

You May Also Like (or like instead):












Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

No comments: