Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Creating Children's Artwork Quilts, by Shannon Gingrich Shirley

Creating Children's Artwork Quilts
Author: Shannon Gingrich Shirley
Publisher: Schiffer Books 
Publication Date: November 30, 2012 
What a lovely idea! Like most parents, I have stacks and stacks of artwork from my child and big plans to DO something with them, but...well, there they sit in stacks. I've tried putting them into spiral-bound book (the book quickly expands beyond closing due to the thickness of all the construction paper and collage pieces, plus the tempera paint flakes off everywhere). I've made plans to scan them all and have them printed in a photo book (an excellent idea that I just have to make time to actually DO). My utility closet doors look like a mini art gallery (the fridge couldn't handle all the 'masterpieces'). I know I have to start throwing them away, but I want to keep SOME. But maybe I could do something special with the more memorable ones? Enter Shannon Gingrich Shirley.

Creating Children's Artwork Quilts is full of ideas for transforming children's art into long-lasting keepsakes. The instructions are easy enough to follow that I feel I could probably do most of the projects described, even though I've never made a quilt and I'm not that "crafty." But crafty, well-organized people would probably do a much better job with these projects. I think what it would really be perfect for is a project for my very talented mom to make a keepsake with her granddaughter's art. Hmmm...I could give her the book for Christmas and then GET an artwork quilt from her next year. Perfect!

Hit the jump for images from inside the book!




Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

No comments: