Thursday, January 17, 2013

Monkey of the Month, by Adam Kramer (illustrated by David Kramer)

Monkey of the Month
Author: Adam Kramer
Illustrator: David Kramer
Publisher: Schiffer Books
Publication Date: August 31, 2012
I love the concept of this book--a boy receives a membership in a "monkey of the month" club for his birthday--but my love ends there. Even my daughter Magda didn't like this book, and she usually responds with at least a polite "it's fine." Maybe it's the mediocre writing, the completely unnecessary sexism (there's a lazy monkey that the mom in the book calls the "dad") or the oddly-overdone illustrations. It just wasn't a hit for me (or Magda). To be honest, it seemed like some people with great ideas of a children's book, but not nearly enough editing. 

Hit the jump for Magda's Take and more pictures from inside the book...

Magda's Take:
"I didn't like it. I didn't like the elephant at the end. It wasn't that good."





You may also like (or like instead):

 Where the Wild Things Are, by Maurice Sendak

 Lester's Dreadful Sweaters, by K.G. Campbell

Up Cat, by Hazel Hutchins and Fanny


I Love You, Blue Kangaroo, by Emma Chichester Clark



Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.


No comments: