Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Fairies at Bedtime: Tales of Inspiration and Delight for You to Read with Your Child – To Enchant, Comfort and Enlighten, by Karen Wallace and Lou Kuenzler


Fairies at Bedtime:

Tales of Inspiration and Delight for You to Read with Your Child – 

To Enchant, Comfort and Enlighten

Authors: Karen Wallace and Lou Kuenzler 

Publisher: Watkins Publishing 
Publication Date: November 8, 2012
I think this type of book would have likely appealed to me as a child: a richly illustrated collection of stories about fairies, leprechauns and other wee folk. I think I would have really liked the stories of magic and make believe that appear only to children who pay close attention. And yet, having read Fairies at Bedtime, I am hesitant to read it to my own daughter. The stories are less about magic and make believe and more about teaching life lessons to children based on encounters with fairies. There are even "affirmations" at the end of each chapter, encouraging children to reflect on the lessons they've learned from each story. There are also sections on helping your child to meditate on various nature spirits, which is, well, I'm not sure exactly who the audience is for that. It seems like it would offend Christian parents and confuse atheist parents (I realize those are not the only choices obviously). But it seems to be aimed at families who have a deep religious affinity for leprechauns. All in all, it takes itself entirely too seriously for my taste.

Hit the jump for Magda's Take and more...



Magda's Take:
"The are similar to cartoon characters but they're different."

You May Also Like:




Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

No comments: