Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Wonderland Alphabet: Alice's Adventures Through the ABCs and What She Found There, by Alethea Kontis (illustrated by Janet K. Lee)


The Wonderland Alphabet

Alice's Adventures Through the ABCs and What She Found There
Author: Alethea Kontis
Illustrator: Janet K. Lee
Based on the books by Lewis Carroll (Charles Ludwidge Dodgson)
Publisher: Archaia Entertainment 
Publication Date: June 30, 2012
Oh why couldn't this book have been published 30 years ago so I could have read it and owned it and loved it and re-read it as a child? I would have adored this book! It's inspired by Alice in Wonderland (which, of course, is infinitely inspirational as it has sparked the imagination of children and artists alike for generations) but it's an alphabet book that can be shared with even very young children. The illustrations are lush and gorgeous and remind me of books that would have been popular a hundred years ago (or so I imagine) with flower details and elegant colours. I love it so much!

It's also perfect for my daughter, Magda, who is fascinated with the story and the character of Alice but is, at three, a little young for the book (we read chapter books to her, but Alice in Wonderland is a bit long and complicated and doesn't have as many pictures as other books we've read her). I've been looking for a preschool book inspired by Lewis Carroll (besides the Disney version) and it's been harder than I thought. But this ABC book is quite a hit! Sure, it's not a story book, but it is intriguing and rich nonetheless.

I can't wait to buy the text version. I'm imagining it smells like flowers (don't hold me to that).

Hit the jump for Magda's Take and more illustrations from this book!
Magda's Take:

"Her baby looks so grumpy. She's giving her mad face. The mommy looks grumpy too."






You May Also Like:


Alice in Wonderland: A Babylit Colors Primer, by Jennifer Adams










Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

No comments: