Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A Funny Little Bird, by Jennifer Yerkes


A Funny Little Bird
Author: Jennifer Yerkes
Publisher: Sourcebooks Jabberwocky
Publication Date: April 1, 2013
I almost loved this book. Almost. The idea is strong. It's the story of a nearly invisible bird, told with simple drawings and negative space, who tries to be more visible by borrowing elements from nature, including colourful feathers from other birds. The message is supposed to be about accepting yourself for who you are, I suppose. But it lacks a certain, I don't know, soul. It's hard to describe. Maybe toddlers would enjoy trying to find the bird on each page. I guess. I'm sorry this review is so muddled and lukewarm, but that describes my feelings for this book.

Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

No comments: