Thursday, April 25, 2013

What the Snakes Wrote, by Hazel Hutchins (illustrated by Tina Holdcroft)


What the Snakes Wrote
Author: Hazel Hutchins
Illustrator: Tina Holdcroft
Publisher: Annick Press
Publication Date: February 14, 2013
How cute is this book? If you haven't read it yet, I'll answer for you. SO CUTE!! Rufus the dog has noticed some strange things happening on his farm. The snakes are working together to spell something...but what? As Rufus tries to decode the snakes' message, the farmer is busy trying to build something to help the snakes out.

I know Hazel Hutchins from her fantastic picture books for young children (Up Dog, Up Cat, Cat Comes Too, Dog Comes Too) but I didn't realize she also wrote such great story books for preschoolers. I love that with all of her books early literacy is a strong theme, but the main focus is still on making a great book that children will love (some authors let their "lesson" get in the way of their storytelling, but not Hutchins). I'm definitely a fan.
Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

You May Also Like:

No comments: