Friday, April 5, 2013

When Mermaids Sleep, by Ann Bonwill (illustrated by Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher)


When Mermaids Sleep
Author: Ann Bonwill
Illustrators: Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: May 28, 2013
The illustrations are gorgeous--fanciful and evocative and detailed--and the tone of the book is both exciting and soothing at the same time. It reminds me a little of The Tickle Tree



Hit the jump for more, including more pictures from the book...


The only thing that was a little weird was that, as it was showing all of the imaginary creatures sleeping, there was a picture of a genie with dark skin and thick gold slave bracelets and it must made me think about how the mythology of the genie is that he is, in fact, enslaved. So that made me feel weird. 



Also, there's a page with pirates, which are certainly not imaginary creatures but real criminals who are inexplicably treated like fantasy heroes i children's literature everywhere. But I digress.



Oh but I forgot the best part! There's a page with a mother and baby unicorn sleeping and the baby doesn't have a horn. I love that! Because of course a baby horned animal wouldn't be born with a horn. It would hurt the mother too much, even if she is imaginary!

Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from Edelweiss (Above the Tree Line). I was asked to write an honest review, though not necessarily a favourable one. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

No comments: