Monday, May 6, 2013

Boy Soup, by Loris Lesynski (illustrated by Michael Martchenko)



Boy Soup

Author: Loris Lesynski
Illustrator: Michael Martchenko
Publisher: Open Road Integrated Media
Publication Date: March 11, 2013
(Originally published September 1, 2008, by Annick Press)
Normally the giant wouldn't try to eat boys. He knows it's wrong. But he has a terrible cold and the only remedy is a nice pot of boy soup! But when he kidnaps six boys--plus Kate--he gets more than he bargained for. The kids outsmart the giant, make a killer pot of soup (well, almost) and discover a new interest in cooking (and giant evading).


The story's great, but what really makes the book is the fantastic artwork by Michael Martchenko. You probably know him as the longtime collaborator with Robert Munsch. He has illustrated some of his most iconic books, including The Paper Bag Princess and Stephanie's Ponytail. My daughter Magda kept saying, "Look! It's Stephanie. Only in this book she's called Kate." I told her that it was the same person who drew the pictures in the other books and she said, "I know. It's like I know all the kids from other books!"

Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

You May Also Like:

No comments: