Thursday, May 23, 2013

Canada's Road: A Journey on the Trans-Canada Highway from St. John's to Victoria, by Mark Richardson


Canada's Road:

A Journey on the Trans-Canada Highway from St. John's to Victoria
Author: Mark Richardson
Publisher: Dundurn
Publication Date: April 1, 2013

It's not often I get to say this about a book, let alone say it and mean it as a compliment, but this book was exactly what I expected. I hoped, based on the cover and description, that this would be a travel memoir about driving across country on the Trans-Canada Highway ("the TCH"),an informative book about the history of the road and the country, with a few pictures and colourful anecdotes thrown in. I hoped it would make me want to travel the TCH myself, or at least feel like I had. I was even hoping it would make me feel more Canadian somehow, and that I would learn a thing or two. Honestly, it was all of those things. Mark Richardson delivered exactly what I was hoping for in this book and the only thing I regret is that I only have the ebook edition instead a coffee table book hardcover (does it come in that? I couldn't tell based on the Amazon product page).

Plus, he's from Cobourg, Ontario, home Alan Bradley, creator of everyone's favourite chemistry-obsessed preteen amateur sleuth, Flavia de Luce. So bonus points for that! 

You can also read more about Mark's journey cross country here.
(You can read more about Flavia de Luce here.)

Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

RELATED POSTS:
The Calculus Diaries
My Pilgrim's Heart
A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar
Road to Valor

No comments: