Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Double Fine Action Comics Vol. 1, by Scott C. (foreword by Tim Schafer)



Double Fine Action Comics Vol. 1

Author: Scott Campbell

Publisher: Oni Press
Publication Date: April 17, 2013
For this review I enlisted the help of my partner, Mike. He's my resident comic book expert. His assessment? Double Fine Action Comics is just regular fine, not double fine. Just one fine would suffice. Here's the rest of what he had to say:

"Knight guy, Two headed baby, Muscleman, Captain and Thompson, cast of aliens and whatever...
   There’re a lot of comics where people are just talking and filling up the quiet.  Sometimes they are funny.  There’re a lot of comics where crazy impossible and theatre of the absurd sort of things happen.  Sometimes they are funny.  Sluggy Freelance is both.
   This isn’t either.
   The adventures are absurd, but not really funny.  The punchline panels are likewise not really funny.  I read the premise for this.  Someone created this at their job, writing/drawing other things, as a pastime/entertainment for friends and colleagues.  I feel if I was friends with the creator, I would say, “Dude, you should totally write that as a book.”
  I don’t know the writer, though.  This feels like a big “You had to be there” in joke."
So there you have it. I read it. Frankly, I wouldn't have been this generous. Thanks, Mike!


Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

You May Also Like:

Prickles vs. The Dust Bunnies
It's Pooltime!

No comments: