Friday, May 10, 2013

Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal: Volume II: Creation Myths, by Brain Froud (with Joshua Dysart, Alex Sheikman and Lizzy John)


Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal Volume II: Creation Myths
Authors: Brian Froud, Joshua Dysart, Alex Sheikman, Lizzy John
Publisher: Archaia Entertainment 
Publication Date: March 12, 2013 
Whenever I review a comic or graphic novel, I usually ask the opinion of my partner and resident comic book expert, Mike. I definitely did for this one, which I got mostly for his benefit anyway. Although the art was pretty, I'm not familiar with The Dark Crystal at all (I've never seen the movie) so this comic made no sense to me. So it's not a completely stand-alone book. Mike, on the other hand, is a huge fan of the Jim Henson movie. Here's what he had to say:

"Good stuff, definitely has the feel of the world of the movie, at an earlier time period.  Wouldn’t make sense to a reader who had not a) read the previous volume, or b) like me, watched the movie a bunch of times.  Pretty, and the illustrations of many of the animals and characters give a Henson creature feel of movement.  I liked it."
So if you're a fan of the movie and you like comics (or graphic novels or whatever) you'll probably like this. If not, you might be a little lost (like I was).
Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

You May Also Like:
Double Fine Action Comics vol 1
Double Fine Action Comics vol 2

No comments: