Friday, May 31, 2013

No Ordinary Apple: A Story About Eating Mindfully, by Sara Marlowe (illustrated by Philip Pascuzzo)


No Ordinary Apple:
A Story About Eating Mindfully
Author: Sara Marlowe
Illustrator: Philip Pascuzzo
Publisher: Wisdom Publications
Publication Date: June 11, 2013
I had to do an exercise in college similar to the one described in this book. I was studying Buddhism or meditation practices or something and our professor had us all eat raisins slowly. Really slowly. We had to look at them, smell them and talk about them before taking even the smallest bite. I think it took 15 minutes. In the end I was salivating over the deliciousness of the raisin--and I don't even like raisins. I vowed to eat all my food mindfully from then on. I'd take two hour lunches! I'd eat less and appreciate it more! Raisins were awesome! But I forgot about it almost immediately and went back to normal.

This book is pretty much describing that experience, except with an apple. A child is taught to eat an apple mindfully by a neighbour and vows to eat everything slowly from now on. I don't know. Maybe fictional kid in the book will do better than I did with it.



Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

RELATED POSTS:





No comments: