Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Beatrix Potter's Gardening Life: The Plants and Places That Inspired the Classic Children's Tales, by Marta McDowell

Beatrix Potter's Gardening Life
The Plants and Places That Inspired the Classic Children's Tales
Author: Marta McDowell
Publisher: Timber Press
Publication Date: September 18, 2013
Oooh I love this book so very, very much! I, like the author, did not grow up reading a lot of Beatrix Potter books but I'm now obsessed with them. I've been reading them with my three-year-old Magda and we both love the world that Beatrix Potter creates, filled with rabbits, cats, hedgehogs and, of course, plants. 

Marta McDowell gives some marvellous insights into Beatrix Potter's life, influences and gardens. For instance, did you know that Mr. McGregor was probably the hired gardener, not the garden owner? THOSE WERE HIS EMPLOYER'S LETTUCES! 

If you didn't get that last reference, perhaps it's time to brush up on your Beatrix Potter. And you definitely should because she's wonderful! And after you've done that, you'll want to check out this book. It's filled with photos, illustrations and insights into Beatrix Potter and her wonderful cast of characters.

Do you think I could knit a Beatrix Potter doll for Magda? 

Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

RELATED POSTS:
10 Plants That Shook the World
In Lucia's Neighborhood
Song for Papa Crow


Wild Rose's Weaving

Fairies at Bedtime

The Cat Behind the Hat



No comments: