Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Get Started: Knitting (Learn Something New), by Susie Johns

Get Started: Knitting
Author: Susie Johns 
Publisher: DK Adult 
Publication Date: December 17, 2012 
Hooray! Finally! This is the beginner knitting book I've been looking for! As some of you may know if you follow my reviews, I started knitting a few months ago, almost by accident (okay, from spite, but that's another story) and I've been looking for books that would help get me from "someone who can make a knit stitch and a purl stitch" to "someone who actually knits things." There seems to be a step missing in there that a lot of books and instructional videos (and ladies at the library who knit socks and sweaters) seem to leave out. They all seem to say, "If you can knit and purl you can make anything! That's all you need!" Um no. That's ridiculous. There's a LOT more to it, like understanding patterns, figuring out the eighteen million versions of adding and decreasing stitches or casting on or off, changing colours and making patterns, not to mention buttonholes and...really the list goes on and on. 

Luckily this book has me covered. It's a step-by-step guide to about a million different aspects of knitting that a lot of other books just take for granted that I either already know how to do, or will at least pick up with minimal instruction. This book doesn't make any assumptions. It's just a broad, easy-to-follow overview of everything. The photos are easy to follow, plus each step also uses illustrations, written instructions and photo examples of finished products. And if that isn't enough, they also explain each technique using the various "knit-speak" names for that technique, so it'll be easy for me to look up specific things on the internet (or at the library knitting circle, which still intimidates me) if I want to see videos of the process.
     


There are some projects included in the book, mostly for the purposes of encouraging beginner and intermediate knitters to test out new skills with increasingly difficult patterns and ideas.

In short, I love this book. Although I do wish I had the print copy instead of just the digital copy. I might have to go buy it (or borrow it from the library).



Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from Edelweiss (Above the Tree Line). I was asked to write an honest review, though not necessarily a favourable one. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

RELATED POSTS:
All You Knit is Love
Creating Children's Artwork
Farmyard Knits
Knit Your Socks on Straight
Knitting Classic Style
The Homegrown Preschooler
Time to Create
Topsy-Turvy Inside-Out Knit Toys

No comments: