Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Monster, Be Good! by Natalie Marshall

Monster, Be Good!
Author: Blue Apple Books/Harriet Ziefert
Illustrator: Natalie Marshall
Publisher: Blue Apple Books
Publication Date: February 26, 2013
Source: Edelweiss
View on Amazon



My daughter Magda and I have read similar monster books before and--I hate to say it--we're often disappointed. The pictures are so great and promising (they remind me of Ed Emberley's monster books) but the books are very short (okay for very young readers I guess) and the lyrics don't seem to match the whimsy of the illustrations.
















This one in particular is trying to tell children not to be scared of monsters by reminding them that they are "in charge" of them, but I found it a little clunky, if that makes any sense. I think the message could have been better told with funnier text (like Ed Emberley's books) and they would have suited to fantastic pictures better.

Magda's Take: "Is that it? Is that the end of the book? Oh."




RELATED POSTS:

No comments: