Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Religions Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained (DK Publishing)

The Religions Book:
Big Ideas Simply Explained
Publisher: DK Adult
Publication Date: July 15, 2013
Source: Edelweiss




I studied religions at university (I have a degree in Religious Studies and Women's Studies from McGill University...not strictly the most practical degree but fantastic for having interesting conversations) and I wish I had had this book at the time. It's not that any of the information is in-depth or comprehensive, it's just that it's a great at-a-glance guide to a lot of information, a quick reference "cheat sheet" of world religions. Plus it's easy to read and pretty to look at. And even though the information about each religion is basic, the book does a fair job of distilling complex ideas into accurate nuggets of essential facts. In all honesty, the book lives up to its title. It IS a book of "big ideas simply explained." Well done, DK!

Of course I'm not surprised. DK Publishing is responsible for some of my favourite "big ideas told simply" infographic and quick reference books. I think I'd be very happy to have an entire library of their books. It could be my "knowledge at a glance" book shelf. Oh that would be brilliant! And the books are all tall and thin so they wouldn't actually take up that much space.

Okay, I'm getting ahead of myself. Bottom line: I highly recommend this book. Scroll down to see some page spreads from the book, which will give you an idea of the layout and general feel of the book.






RELATED POSTS:

Religion for Atheists
Help Your Kids with Language Arts
The Story of the Voice
Every Day is an Atheist Holiday
The Year of Living Biblically

No comments: