Monday, February 10, 2014

Animal Alphabet, by DK Publishing

Animal Alphabet
Lift the flaps from A-Z!
Publisher: DK Publishing
Publication Date: March 17, 2014
Source: Edelweiss
View on Amazon




I love DK books. They have produced some of my favourite popular reference books and some of my favourite non-fiction to share with my child. They're always well designed, a perfect balance between clean, bright graphics and lots and lots of information.

Unfortunately I'm not sure I can provide a fully informative review of this particular title. It's an alphabet book, and the text and pictures look fantastic, but it's also a "lift-the-flap" book. I'm afraid I'm not getting the full effect just by looking at the digital review copy I received.


Based on what I've seen, I think this book is probably another winner from DK (I'd give it a 4 star rating, based on the review copy). But it's hard to fully appreciate any 3-D book (pop-up, fold-out, lift-the-flap, etc.) based on the digital version only.


But I like the pictures and fonts and all the things I can judge without seeing the final print edition. I especially like that the small letter 'a' and the small letter 'g' are written in a way that is similar to how you actually write or print them, rather than how you typically see them in books (with extra serifs and things). You wouldn't believe how many books for small children forget to do this.

See what I mean? That's Times New Roman on the left and some other font on the right (sorry, I'm terrible at font names).
a a

g g 


Anyway, it's a little thing, but it really helps when children are learning to read and write if the letters in the book look like the letters they're supposed to learn.

No comments: