Monday, February 10, 2014

Are You Sleeping Little One?, by Hans-Christian Schmidt and Cynthia Vance (illustrated by Andrea Nemet, translated by Laura Lindgren)

Are You Sleeping Little One?
Authors: Hans-Christian Schmidt and Cynthia Vance
Illustrator: Andrea Nemet
Translator: Laura Lindgren
Publisher: Abbeville Press
Publication Date: August 14, 2012
Source: NetGalley
View on Amazon



This is a fairly typical bedtime story about animals snuggling with their parents before bed. In other words, your toddler will probably love it. Having said that, there are a lot of books just like it so you'll forgive me if they start to all blend together after a while. I know, I know, that's not even a proper criticism because it isn't that I disliked the book. And I didn't dislike it. In fact, it's perfectly lovely. I just feel like I've read so many of these books lately, so it's hard to tell them apart.


Actually, when I first saw this book I thought it was that one that inspired the parody Go the F**k to Sleep. But it turns out that was probably inspired by It's Time to Sleep, My Love, illustrated by Nancy Tillman. See what I mean? There are a lot of them.

This book is lovely and sweet and beautifully illustrated. It's just that after a while, it takes more than that to distinguish one bedtime book from another.

Magda's Take: Awww that's sweet that all the mommies are snuggling their babies to go to sleep. Even the fish! I don't think fish actually do that, do they? And why is there a mommy caterpillar? Are there mommy caterpillars? That one is bigger than the other one, so maybe it's the mommy, but aren't mommy caterpillars just butterflies? Hmmm...

No comments: