Monday, June 9, 2014

Baby, Come Out! by Fran Manushkin (illustrated by Ronald Himler)

I cannot overstate how much my four-year-old loves pregnancy. Even though she's an only child, she is positively obsessed with seeing pregnant moms. I think it's partly because she wants a sibling, but it's not just that. She loves everything about pregnancy, even in animals. "Pregnancy is my hobby," she tells people. I know, I know. It's weird. Maybe she'll be an obstetrician when she grows up, or a midwife. In the meantime, some of her favourite books are ones that showcase expectant families. So Baby, Come Out! was positively made for her!

Originally published in 1972, this book has been reprinted by Star Bright Books and would make a lovely gift for anyone convinced that their baby is just never going to come out (I can relate to that fear).

My favourite part:
I really liked the pictures of the baby inside the mom's belly. They reminded me of Maurice Sendak's characters: simple, charming and full of lots of opinions. You can tell the baby is full of personality, even in the simple drawings. I also really like the old-fashioned clothing of all the other characters, like the book was originally published in the 1870's instead of the 1970's.

Magda's Take:
I really like Baby Come Out. I especially like when the baby says, "Okay here I come!" after the father kisses Mrs. Tracey on the stomach. I also liked when the big sister said, "We know how to get the baby to come out" and then she yelled at the baby to come out. That was the funny part because the baby said, "You yelled at me so I'm not coming out." That was so funny.

Book Details:
Baby, Come Out!
by Fran Manushkin
Illustrated by Ronald Himler
Published by Star Bright Books
Publication Date: February 28, 2014
(Originally published in 1972 by Harper and Row)
View on Amazon

Source: NetGalley

No comments: