Monday, July 14, 2014

Cozy Classics: Emma, by Jack Wang and Holman Wang

Cozy Classics: Jane Austen's Emma
Authors: Jack and Holman Wang (and Jane Austen)
Publisher: Simply Read Books
Publication Date: December 5, 2013
Source: NetGalley
View on Amazon



Yay! It's a new crop of Cozy Classics! I have to say, I'm not always a fan of the trend of children's books that are mostly just for adults, whether it's because they reference beloved classic literature or favourite movies or whatever. But I love these! I just can't get enough of them.

What makes these books so special is the illustrations. Those adorable knitted dolls that are posed and photographed are amazing. Plus I love all the work that goes into creating each of the backgrounds. And the juxtaposition of all that work next to a simple one-word text on the facing page is very charming.




Sometimes when I look at one of these books by Jack and Holman Wang with my daughter, I'm able to fill in the story for her because I'm somewhat familiar with the original classic, even if I haven't read it. In the case of Emma, I figured that'd be even easier because I have read it. In fact, it's the only Jane Austen book I ever remember finishing and certainly the only one I ever enjoyed (pausing to wait for the collective gasp from all the Austen fans).


I was able to mostly retell the story of Emma from this book (quite an accomplishment for the creators, considering they managed that in less than a dozen words) but if I'm honest, I was also secretly thinking back to the movie Clueless for help. (Remember Clueless? It was, like, totally a retelling of EmmaWhat-EV-er.)


I know I say this after reading every one of these books, but I wish I had those dolls! Also, how do they get them in all those poses? Is it glue? Is it wire? Is it hope and luck? I think they need to publish a "making of Cozy Classics" book next!


CHECK OUT THE WHOLE COZY CLASSIC COLLECTION:

NEW! Oliver Twist
Les Misérables 
NEW! Jane Eyre
NEW! Emma
Pride and Prejudice
War and Peace
COMING SOON!
COMING SOON!
Moby Dick

No comments: